MirrorTap Power Cords“Power Up” your radar detector by TAPPING into the plug of your rear view mirror’s wire harness.
How do you check voltage with a Voltmeter?Guidelines on Using a Voltmeter to Locate Power and Ground
- 1. First set your voltmeter to the continuity setting (should beep when you touch the red and black probes together, telling you they are shorted).
- 2. Find a ground on the car somewhere, like a bolt under the dash, or a metal cross member.
- 3. Put the black probe on that ground, and touch the back of each exposed wire connector in the mirror harness with the red probe.
- 4. For each wire that beeps, that means that wire is grounded. Turn the ignition to the on position, then back to off, and make sure it beeps regardless of ignition position.
- 5. Put the voltmeter into VDC mode, to measure DC volts, turn the ignition to the on position.
- 6. Put the black probe on the ground wire found in #4.
- 7. Touch each of the wires in that harness with the red probe, and note which one(s) gives you +12-14 volts, turn the ignition off to verify that the volt readings go down to zero or close to zero.
- 8. That should define which two ports in that harness into which you would plug the MirrorTap, the black Prong into #4 above, and the Red to #7.
Disclaimer J28 DESIGN INC. will not be held responsible for any damage to, interference with, or malfunction of your vehicle's electrical system resulting from installation or use of the MTPC. Consult with your vehicle's dealer for any questions about your vehicle's electrical system. If you do not agree to these terms, do not use this product and return it for a full refund. If you are unable to use a voltmeter we recommend taking your vehicle to an auto stereo install shop.